Jessy Carolina - After You've Gone

Hiya everyone, hope you're okay!

So my brother started to play a video game on the TV in the same room as me, and I had to tell him to keep the main menu on for a bit, while I listened to this song. It's really, really beautiful. I love how calming it is, I listen to it and it's like a wave of relaxation washes over me. Older music or in this case, older sounding music always has that effect on me. then I start thinking about how amazing it would be in a horror movie but I digress...

When I did a bit of research on the song, I found out to my shock that this was recorded in 2012 or 2013 (different sources claim different dates, but either way, pretty recently) The vocals come from the insanely talented Jessy Carolina from "Jessy Carolina And The Hot Mess" a New York based traditional Jazz band. She recorded this cover of "Marion Harris - After You've Gone" which was originally recorded in 1918, and it was used for the video game Bioshock Infinite.
Many artists including Ella Fitzgerald, Nina Simone, Frank Sinatra, Phil Collins and Jamie Cullum have covered this beautiful track.
If you like music like this then Bioshock Infinite actually has a pretty amazing soundtrack filled with similar songs.

Hope you enjoy!

G.x

2 comments

  1. I'm always finding myself loving songs from my brother's video games too! Oh and the amount of times I've had to pause a film (again, usually horror) to search for it online.. I've lost count!! Thanks for following my blog on Bloglovin', I've gladly returned the favour! Have a great weekend :)

    http://aglassofice.blogspot.co.uk
    - I follow back on bloglovin' -

    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm exactly the same haha, I always find good songs in video games .x

      Delete